Friday 24 June 2011

Grandma made me take down all of my posters of Johnny Depp (third assignment)

I couldn't personally enjoy them because my attention span is similar to that of a gnat. With no colour, no sound, and very long shots compared to shots in modern films (which are like 1-4 seconds amirite), it's hard to get engaged at all. However my opinion sucks and that doesn't mean they can't be "good". Putting aside the fact that they're considered historical art, they can be enjoyable if you aren't a hyperactive teen with (modern) action and drama essentially being viewing requirements.

The Great Train Robbery is considered a milestone in filmmaking. It used many innovative techniques, such as cross-cutting (which was new), double-exposure, composite-editing, camera-movement, and on-location shooting. It is still interesting to watch today (because it's filled with action). I imagine it was a Hollywood thriller back then. Supposedly the last scene in which a bandit fires point-blank at the audience was really, really scary and there was some controversy and whatnot over that. Crazy 1900's people. I want to show them A Serbian Film.


The Great Train Robbery was actually interesting because of the use of cross cutting and moving shots and all that fancy stuff that was very new at the time. The Charlie Chaplin short was interesting but only in a nostalgic way, because that type is humor is really, really outdated, and I don't remember the name but it was that one film glorifying the KKK making them look like heroes, that one was interesting only because it's so hilariously racist now. That's all I guess.

No comments:

Post a Comment